With an athlete like Sir Bradley Wiggins becoming a massive influence to those wishing to get into cycling, it’s no surprise that the sport is becoming more popular. Bradley recently smashed the Hour Record (cycling as far as you can in an hour) by 1.589km, making the new record 54.526km. Thats 54.526km per hour (33.9mph) for a whole hour! Absolutely incredible.
So with that, lets have a look at some of the great reasons why you should get in to cycling!
1. Your heart will thank you. Studies suggest that even cycling for 20 minutes a week will cut your risk of heart disease by 50 percent when compared to taking no exercise at all
2. It’s kind on your joints. If you’re trying to lose weight, cycling could be better for you than jogging. While jogging does have many benefits, if you are overweight then the constant impact of your weight on your joints while jogging could cause you harm. Cycling eliminates this impact while still allowing you to have a good workout.
3. You’ll save money! This one is obvious. If you’re travelling by bicycle then you’re not travelling by car or bus, meaning you save on fuel and fare bills. You’re also doing your bit for the environment!
4. It will make you fitter. Over time, cycling will increase your cardiovascular capacity. This will make your heart and lungs work more efficiently to get oxygen around your body when you need it.
5. It’s family friendly. Most people can ride a bike and if not then it’s easy to learn. Cycling as a family or couple is a great way to spend time with the ones you love. Why not pack a small backpack and have a picnic en route?
6. It makes you feel good! Exercise helps to release ‘feel good’ hormones. When cycling you also get the extra hormone release from being outdoors!
7. It connects you with nature. When we’re driving around the town and cities in our cars we can’t really appreciate the natural world. Cycling allows us to go at our own pace and in our own direction, while admiring the scenery around us.
8. It’s suitable for everyone! It doesn’t matter what shape you’re in, you decide the pace. While using gears and being supported by the saddle, you can make the ride as comfortable and desirable as you like.
So what are you waiting for? Get on your bike!
Also, check out my latest article on preventing the 5 most common cycling ailments.
If you know any good cycle routes, comment in the box below!